February 22, 2020 marks the 288th birthday of George Washington. It also marks the 125th anniversary of the elaborate dedication ceremonies of the new Masonic Temple on Cannon Street in 1895 (see newspaper clipping below), now known as Revel 32.
Among the souvenirs from that event is a medal commemorating an important visit of George Washington to Poughkeepsie, in his role as a Mason.
On December 27, 1782, Washington was formally received at the home of Lewis Dubois, who was Grand Master of the Poughkeepsie Masonic Lodge. His home was on Market Street north of where the Bardavon is today and was used for Masonic meetings.
The man responsible for the design and gift of the coin to the Masons, Helmus Barratt, was born October 25, 1846 in Clinton House on Main Street. He was a founder and life-long Director of the First National Bank and an active Mason and patriotic American.
1854 Church Becomes Masonic Temple 1895
A Methodist Episcopal Church was built on Cannon Street in 1854. On February 22, 1895, opening ceremonies revealed an enlarged and remodeled building as the new Masonic Temple, keeping the columns and general appearance of the front.
Items featured above: Four certificates of Master Mason status from Solomon's Lodge, No. 1: September 19, 1780, for Nicholas Fish signed by James Livingston. ~ November 24, 1790 for Dr. William Ely. ~ July 1, 1810 for Charles F. Barnum. ~ April 2, 1828 for William A. Holmes. Two certificates of Master Mason status from Lodge 226, successor to Solomon's Lodge: April 2, 1860 for A. Sweet. November 28, 1860 for Joseph Wright. June 21, 1852, Founding Charter of Lodge No. 266. Engraving of The Old Tun Tavern, presented by family of Francis B. Wheeler who served as Chaplain 1863 to 1895. ~ 1854 Jewel of Abraham Sweet. ~ 1878 Commemorative coin of the 1782 visit of George Washington to the Poughkeepsie Lodge.