For a period of time in 1880s and 1890s there were large gatherings at "Wiley's Grove" described as being located just within the bounds of the town of Clinton, but right at the border with Pleasant Plains and Salt Point. It is described as "on the railroad." The 1876 map below shows the home of "A Wiley" although the location of the "grove" is not indicated.
There seemed to be regular, annual occurrences, taking place in August. Among the regulars were Dutchess County Peace Society, the African American Church of Poughkeepsie, the AME Zion Church, Sunday School organizations, and Temperance organizations.
Attendance seemed to range from a few thousand to over 6,000. The 1882 Pine Plains Register reported that for one recent event 3,500 people arrived by train, and over 900 "wagons" brought others.
Speakers at the Peace Society events included Red Cross founder Clara Barton and Native American rights advocate Dr. Thomas A. Bland. Bland was a Quaker medical doctor who had served in the Civil War. He founded the National Indian Defense Association and spoke at the event with Native Americans from the west as guests.
Approximate Location of Wiley's Grove
1876 map. 1936 aerial view. Google maps, 2019. Images will advance automatically or by using buttons at bottom.